Taking A Chance On Lucid 10.04 Beta 1 :-)
The Game Is Afoot.
- Downloaded LiveCD – Done
- Tested in TestDrive – Done
- Backup – Done
- Burn CD – Done
- Check CD Integrity – Done.
- Partitions Screenshot (send to web)- Done
The LiveCD Installation.
Very well designed, great to be able to browse the web while installing the OS.
As you can see below the Lucid Installer is open on the left and Firefox on the right.
This allows me to consult the previously saved screenshot of my partitions.
Double checking is a good ideas at this point!
Well I am back up and running!
Lucid looks great and seems to be performing well so far…
- Wow purple… well that’s a bold choice :-)
- I wasn’t planning on using that dark a theme, but now I have seen it, I may be able to live with it.
- Controls on the left… yep I can retrain myself to use them, hopefully there is a good reason for the change. I wonder what the plans are for the space on the right :-?
- I was running Karmic 9.10 64bit.
- Hardware: Intel Quad Core, 8GB/1.5TB, NVIDA.
- I am performing a Clean Install not an Upgrade.
- My /home is on its own partition.
This enables me to keep 99% of my configuration information,
(Application Settings, Desktop, Panels, etc.) and is a huge time saver.
Post Install Tasks:
- I ran the script cleanstart-packages.list.sh after the install of Lucid.
This reinstalls all of my favourite packages from a list.
- I reset my background to the default Purple.
- I selected the new Ambiance Theme.
Things I Noticed:
- My sound applet in the top panel has gone missing (Solved).
Its called the “Indicator Applet”, no mention of Sound at all.
- At 32 pixels the top panel looked odd, with a grey bottom edge.
- Nautilus, F3 Gets you an Extra Panel nice!
The Thrilling Conclusion.
You know I think I like it :-)
Lucid has been the easiest, least problematic, Ubuntu OS to install yet.
Come on in, the water’s fine :-)
Bug #542365 Indicator applet needs renamed appropriately so people can find it (Some reference to Sound Control needed).
Bug #532101 “You can receive files over Bluetooth into this folder” always visible on XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR folder, even without a Bluetooth device.
Bug #532309 Light-themes: panel-background isn’t scaling.
sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Radiance/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Comment out bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = “panel_bg.png” e.g. #bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = “panel_bg.png”
Log out then Log in again.
The menu to Check CD Integrity is only available for a second or two at startup.
Theme changed from Ambiance to Radiance, loved the Ambiance theme but it was too dark for me. I now use Radiance, with the Ambiance Window Border.
Customised Theme Tooltips to yellow (#F5F5B5) with black text (#000000). Firefox’s Boox, amongst others, looks odd otherwise. Right Click on Desktop > Change Desktop Background. Theme (Ambience) > Customise > Colour >Tooltips.